Money Wellness
picture of a purse open with a never ending receipt escaping
category iconbenefits
category iconmoney booster
calendar icon24 Apr 2023

Could you be eligible for extra money from the household support fund?

Struggling families, the vulnerable, disabled people and those most in need could be entitled to extra money to help with food, energy, water, and other essential bills following April’s launch of the next phase of the household support fund (HSF), which will run until 31 March 2024. 

What is the household support fund?

The HSF was set up to help people across the UK cope with the rising cost of living. Money is distributed to local councils who then decide how best to help people locally. Whether you’re entitled to receive support depends on where you live, how your council has chosen to spend the money and your personal circumstances. Most councils are distributing their share as cash payments or vouchers towards bills.  

Are you eligible for the extra support?

The fund has been set up to support those households most in need, particularly those who aren’t eligible for other government help, such as the cost-of-living payment and additional energy support.

Each council has its own specific criteria. Generally, you must be over the age of 16 and living in privately owned, privately rented or social housing and on an income of less that £16,000 per year. The fund does not provide help to people in residential care.

You don’t need to be claiming benefits to receive HSF but, if you are, your benefits won’t be affected. It’s worth noting that some councils are only offering money to people who have previously claimed benefits or Universal Credit.

If you have savings or other sources of money to fall back on, it’s unlikely you’ll qualify for HSF.

Is it a loan?

No, it’s not a loan. So you don’t need to worry about paying back any money you receive..

How do you apply for the household support fund?

Contact your local council to apply. You can find details of your local council on the government website. Once you’ve found those details, there should be information on how to apply.

Some councils will contact you directly if you qualify for HSF so you don’t need to get in touch with them.

If there’s no information on your council’s website, it’s best to ring up and ask them if you’re eligible for any support.

You’ll have to prove you’re in need of the grant. You’ll also need your national insurance number and those of anyone you live with.

If your application is declined, you’ll have seven days to appeal.  

Would you like our help?

If you’re struggling as a result of the rising cost of living, we can check you’re claiming all the support you’re entitled to. Use our benefits calculator or get in touch to find out more. We’re always happy to help. 

Avatar of Caroline Chell

Caroline Chell

Caroline has worked in financial communications for more than 10 years, writing content on subjects such as pensions, mortgages, loans and credit cards, as well as stockbroking and investment advice.

Related posts


28 May 2024

Conservatives pledge tax cut for pensioners

Pensioners to be £100 better off by the end of the year through the Conservative's 'Triple Lock Plus' pledge. Find out what it means for your pension


23 May 2024

Three-week warning for housing benefit claimants

If you currently receive housing benefit, you've got just three weeks left before the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) makes a big change to your claim.


23 May 2024

Parents to get cash to help with May half-term costs

Families receiving free school meals are also entitled to food vouchers to help towards the cost of the May school holidays


22 May 2024

What the government’s new welfare reforms mean for you

If you’re currently unemployed, you could find yourself being forced to work under welfare reforms. Read on to see how the government’s new plans may affect you and any benefits you receive.