Warning about changes to benefit payment dates over Christmas
Households have been warned about changes to their benefit payments next month with two bank holidays falling in December thanks to Christmas.
The change in payment dates will affect anyone who receives child benefit, universal credit or tax credits. According to the Department of Work and Pensions, everyone will still get their money, but the bank holidays may change when they’re paid into their bank account.
The DWP has therefore urged everyone to think about their budgets over the festive period especially as it’s an expensive time for many.
The dates that are affected are Christmas Day (Monday 25 December), Boxing Day (Tuesday 26 December) and New Years Day (Monday 1 January).
If your payment date is due on one of these days (or any Bank Holiday), you’ll usually be paid on the working day before.This means:
- Any payments due on 23, 24, 25 or 26 December should arrive on Friday 22 December
- Any payments due on 30 and 31 December or 1 January should arrive on Friday 29 December
Payments for tax credit are the exception and differ slightly. It is usually paid out on a Monday or Tuesday by the HRMC. According to www.gov.uk payment dates over Christmas will change to:
- If you’re usually paid on 25 December, you’ll receive it on Friday 22 December
- If you’re usually paid on 26 December, you’ll receive it on Friday 22 December
- If you’re usually paid on 27 December, you’ll receive it on Friday 22 December
- If you’re usually paid on 28 December, you’ll receive it on Wednesday 27 December
- If you’re usually paid on 1 January, you’ll receive it on Friday 29 December
- If you’re usually paid on 2 January, you’ll receive it on Friday 29 December
- If you’re usually paid on 3 January, you’ll receive it on Tuesday 2 January
The change in the payment dates means people will have to make their money last for longer before their next payment arrives. It also means that the DWP and HMRC offices and helplines will be closed if a problem occurs.
Caroline has worked in financial communications for more than 10 years, writing content on subjects such as pensions, mortgages, loans and credit cards, as well as stockbroking and investment advice.
04 Dec 2023
Find out if you’re entitled to a payment from the DWP to help towards bills this festive season
27 Nov 2023
A campaign group has described government plans to monitor the bank accounts of benefit claimants as "dangerous for everyone".
27 Nov 2023
Pensioners will start receiving payments of up to £600 in their bank accounts from today to help with winter bills
22 Nov 2023
Sebrina McCullough, head of external relations here at Money Wellness, has responded to today's autumn statement by saying there's more work to be done.