Money Wellness
Image of two rings on top of a dictionary that says 'divorce'
category iconcost of living
calendar icon08 Jan 2024

More than a quarter of a million divorces delayed because of cost of living pressures

Research from insurer Legal & General has found than 272,000 people have delayed their divorce due to cost-of-living pressures, with 19% delaying due to financial problems.

The research found that despite holding off to spare their bank balances, nearly half of people who divorce (48%) see their income shrink by an average of 31% in the year after their separation, resulting in them having £9,700 less a year on average to live off.

Two out of five divorcees (40%) felt that they didn’t receive an equal split financially, with one party being favoured more than the other.

Yet despite this, only 7% of people consult a financial adviser as part of their divorce. And just 31% had signed a clean break order, meaning that more than two-thirds (69%) could be liable to a future claim from their ex.

Worryingly, women could also be more at risk of domestic abuse if they’re forced to remain in failing relationships.

 According to Women’s Aid, almost three quarters of women (73%) living with - or having financial links to - their abuser said that the cost-of-living crisis had either prevented them from leaving or was making it harder for them to leave, which has left them at risk in an unsafe home.

Where you get help?

If you’re in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

If you require advice, support or more information, you can contact one of the following charities or organisations:

National Domestic Abuse helpline – 0808 200 247

Refuge – 0808 2000 247

Women’s Aid – 0203 984 6696

Surviving Economic Abuse has lots of resources available if you believe you’ve been the victim of financial control and coercion, or you can contact us and we can help.

Keeping the cost of divorce to a minimum

According to the Money Helper website, if you’ve both agreed to end your relationship and your finances are straightforward, your divorce or dissolution should be relatively quick and cheap. You will still need to go through the legal process, but you might not need a solicitor.

You can fill in and send the court forms yourself - the form can be found here. This is the cheapest option as you’ll only have to pay court fees (£593). If you’re on a low income, you might also be entitled to financial support to cover the fees.

Some companies offer divorce or dissolution services online. They vary in price and offer different levels of help - it’s always worth checking what’s included. Most will help you with the divorce of dissolution paperwork but not with reaching a financial settlement.

Many high street solicitors offer a fixed fee for a divorce or dissolution. They’ll also offer fixed or capped fee to help sort out the finances.

What financial support is available if you’re struggling after divorce?


If you’re divorcing and your income has dropped, there are some benefits you could claim as a single person. You might also qualify for benefits, such as universal credit, if you’re now a lone parent and your children live with you all or most of the time.

Help with rent

If you’re renting, you might also get help towards the costs through housing benefit.

Help with council tax

If you are now the only adult in your house, you’ll also probably qualify for a single person’s discount (25%) on your council tax bill. You might also get help paying your council tax if you’re getting some benefits, such as universal credit. You’ll need to apply for this with your local council.

Help with energy bills, food, furniture and clothes

Your local council might also be able to offer you money or vouchers to help with energy and food costs. They might also be able to help with buying school uniform, white goods, and essential furniture with money from the household support fund. What you get will depend on how your local council has decided to spend its allocation. Contact your local council for more information.

Child benefit

If you’re divorcing, you might also need to update your details for child benefit.

Child benefit can only be paid to one person and it’s important that it is paid to the main carer. This is usually the parent the children live with most of the time.

If your ex-partner is receiving it, you might not get the money unless they choose to pass it on to you.

You can update who gets child benefit and report any change of circumstances on the website or call 0300 200 3100.

Avatar of Caroline Chell

Caroline Chell

Caroline has worked in financial communications for more than 10 years, writing content on subjects such as pensions, mortgages, loans and credit cards, as well as stockbroking and investment advice.

Related posts

cost of living

19 Jun 2024

Inflation drops to target for the first time in three years

Inflation has fallen to 2%, reaching the Bank of England’s target for the first time in three years.

cost of living

14 Jun 2024

Supporting kids’ sporting dreams is a nightmare for hard-up families

Ahead of an exciting summer of sport, we’ve been investigating how financial hardship affects kids’ sporting ambitions.

cost of living

12 Jun 2024

Cost-of-driving crisis could force millions to sell their cars

Rising car expenses are taking a toll on UK drivers, with many saying they will have to sell their cars to stay afloat.

cost of living

10 Jun 2024

Those with the least ‘hardest hit by tax and benefit changes since 2010’

As a new report finds the poorest households have been hit hardest by tax and benefit changes made since 2010, find out what help's available if you're struggling.